So the Mondial is the talk of the town these days. (For any of you who might have missed it, most of the world is eagerly attentive to the antics of bunches of people in matching clothes kicking around a little black-and-white ball. Particularly whether the ball goes into - or not into - a certain net.)
The general mood here this week was jubilant, after the sound thrashing les Bleus gave to the Spanish team, thereby advancing to the next round. I could barely get to sleep that night after the game, as the noisy celebrations from the street down below lasted well into the night.
But the moment of truth will come tonight, as the strengthening French team faces their toughest opponents yet: the fearsome Brazilians. The entire country is wating with bated breath to see whether the Blues have it in them to beat Brazil.
(never mind England is also playing tonight - at the same level - and if by some fluke both England and France advance to the next round, they'll play each other. At that point, I won't know whom to support....)
Check here for results:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html
It's a beautiful thing, how some random eternally-insignificant little ball game can so capture the hearts and minds of so many people. I can't count the interesting conversations I've had with folks around Paris that have been catalysed by the Coupe du Monde. We suddenly have common ground to stimulate discussion and establish interpersonal contact, fulfilling the same function as the British penchant for discussing the weather. But not nearly as boring.
Incidentally, the Tour de France is starting now, offering further opportunities for discussion. As it's less internationally-oriented, though, it remains to be seen how inclusive it will be. On verra.
(and no, I don't mean the Cambridge Blues. The Boat Race is over for this year.)
I'm sorry about the England game.... that was a bummer. But les Bleus!!!!!!!!!!! Were you watching?! :o) Very nice. I'm just sorry I couldn't be there to join in the revelry. I hope you're doing well!
ReplyDeleteAllez les Bleus :)
ReplyDelete