Tuesday, 4 July 2006

Rainbow out my window tonight...



They're predicting thunderstorms... a break in the weather would be welcome! 34 + degree weather is not conducive to clarity of thought. Or effective electrochemical experiments.

Today's highlight: going out on the lake in a double-scull at lunchtime!

Yesterday's highlight: un soutenance de these ... the vivas are public affairs in France, so we all trouped over to the auditorium to spectate while Aurelien gave his talk and answered questions. Unsurprisingly, he passed with flying colours... talented guy! Afterwards we all had champagne and terrine and good cheese at the reception, where I had a long talk about faith with a Muslim woman from Algeria and an atheistic woman from France. Strangely, the Muslim woman (a convert later in life) seemed the most at peace.

2 comments:

  1. 34.  pretty chilly! is stuff frozen over there in July?!?  8-o
    wow, France is weird.
    PS. Germany better win third.  I'll try to catch at least some of the finals, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. July 4th in Europe.....mmm ya I guess this makes you an official ex-patriot.

    ReplyDelete