Technicalities aside, it was a fantastic weekend. We stayed in a great little B&B in the fishing village of Carrickfergus, which came complete with wild rocky coastline, charming villagey bits, and even a castle! Sightseeing in Belfast actually left much to be desired - strong focus on the 'troubles' and the still very-present separation between Protestant and Catholic areas served as a stark reminder of the uneasiness of the peace that holds now; aside from that, a huge ferris-wheel-like thing was the only sightseeing attraction. Anyway, the cheery company more than made up for the lack of interesting things to do there. :)
Here are a few pictures of the last weekend jaunt of my regular life in England:
First, beautiful Queen's University, Belfast (actually fairly Cambridgey - we felt right at home) and the Belfast Wheel:
Goofing off in front of the Carrickfergus castle:
A traditional Irish pub lunch, and here all the physicists are posing in front of the statue of Lord Kelvin, perhaps Belfast's greatest physicist, here immortalised in the Botanic Gardens:
That's all, folks! Hope you enjoyed the travelogues of my various weekends away... in my next life, in DC, I won't be able to travel nearly as easily to such interesting places, so I won't be able to keep you entertained (?) with stories of jaunts.
I'm actually at my parents' home now, in Wisconsin, for a couple of weeks for Christmas. I will get some travelling in, in January, which is my month off to clear my head before starting my new job in DC in February. Doing a PhD really takes its toll! I am grateful to be able to have some time off and spend it with good friends in various places.
Welcome back to the States, Annie, and specifically, to the Regency Hills Neighborhood!!!=)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it was hard to leave what had become your home and life. Enjoy the "clearing of your head" time....I'm so excited to keep up as you head into your next adventure!!!
Welcome back!! and to DC later. I enjoy your travel blog. Come by to see us at CBCCP ( Chinese Bible church of College Park ) you will see Josephine , Julia and Jonathan . Winnie
ReplyDeleteYay! I mean not about having to leave England, cool friends or the fact that you won't be able to travel much. But yay to the fact that you'll be living close by! Keep us updated about your arrival in the area... can we pick you up? Take you out? Visit? Yeah anyway. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDelete