Thursday, 9 November 2006

Thought for the day

This post is prompted by yet another new acquaintance expressing surprise
that one can be both a physicist and a Christian. (Thanks to Carrie for the quote!)

From A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken:

"And another Anglican, Shirley Rosser, in physics at [Lynchburg College],
was no less firm in the faith. The fact that he, like Peter and Lew at
Oxford, was a physicist and a Christian led me to formulate a theory as to
why so many physicists--I knew of still others--were committed Christians.
The theory went like this: The non-scientists say, well, we don't know the
answers, but the scientists do; and the scientists who are not physicists
say, well, we don't know the answers either, but the physicists do; and the
physicists know that they do not, in fact, have the ultimate answers and,
accordingly, turn to Christ who does."

6 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, I got your invite to be a friend and tried to accept, but it went on this long wait saying something about loading and then it said something about being expired. Anyway. I don't know if it went through or not? Hope you are doing well? Life is busy: family considering a move, trying to juggle school, sleep, life, social time, and then there is this girl who keeps trumping all of the above! What fun. It doesn't help matters that I'm just plain down lazy! Well I've got to run. An apologetics paper is supposed to emerge from somewhere inside of me this weekend. Great quote from A Severe Mercy! I've thought about that book two times in the last 6 months and both times decided that I should read it, though I've not made the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad it went through! But what, excuse my ignorance, is it? I've never used that aspect of Xanga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really resent how Sheldon puts the scientists and physicists between me and my God.  I thought we had accepted the Priesthood of the Believer by beating our papist oppressors! Away with you!
    well at least you're pretty cute for a heretic..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Say, Yan, why don't you write in about size 14 font, for those of us older people with failing eyesight?  It's not like you have to pay for space or anything....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm... hmmm okay. On my computer, this post is actually a *larger* font than normal! Set the text size in your browser to one larger than it is on now! And wear your glasses! ;)

    ReplyDelete