Back from a brilliant 3 weeks in the US of A.
Summary: one marathon successfully completed, one friend successfully married off, a couple of new friends gained in the process, older friendships nourished and brightened, many laughs shared en famille. Also: 3 labs visited, my work promoted, my CV distributed.
Now it's back to work in earnest. I should be refreshed after such a fantastic holiday. But I'm finding it hard to gain much ground. The PhD has often been compared to long-distance running, and not without reason! The dreaded wall that one hits around miles 19-24 probably roughly translates to a similar wall that one hits entering year 4 of a 4-year research course. So... right about now.
Why do we blog? Is it primarily to impose order on the apparent chaos of unrelated events in our lives? Offer up some interpretation on the narrative? To put off the inevitable writing of a thesis chapter? Or merely to keep faraway friends abreast of new developments in our lives? Incidentally, welcome to the MoMM folk I've just discovered on xanga... how fun to see the next chapter in your stories.
Okay, enough procrastinating for now. Back to work.
At least, for a little while-- there are fireworks to watch tonight!
You were on the same continent as me!!! AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!! But I didn't get to see you. Good luck with your PhD, we're cheering for you!
ReplyDeleteone foot in front of the other! keep your eye on the goal! or Jesus! or the picture of me! there better be one
ReplyDeleteand thanks for not translating MoMM, which is incomprehensible. tell me. now.
I'm cheering for Guy Fawkes, actually. He's the man. /guy.
ReplyDeleteAnnie!! How nice to run into you online after all these years. I'd ask how things are going, but there's no need I suppose when I can just read through all your old posts, stalker-style.I must ask about the other MoMM folks here on Xanga of whom you're aware. I read Trisha's site regularly (did you see she just got engaged? To a good friend of mine, in fact), but I'm sure there's more folks out there.
ReplyDelete