Saturday, 15 September 2007

Getting close to the equinox!

Our wonderful summer evenings seem to be evaporating, as more and more I find myself digging out my bike lights for the trip home from work. Here's a world sunlight map, showing startlingly vertical demarcations between day and night! Pretty cool. It must mean that Matthew's birthday is fast approaching... 

It doesn't feel like fall, though. The summery weather has come back! But other telltale signs are around: the apples are ripe and falling from the tree in the front yard (bumping as they fall on the recycle bins, in the middle of the night) and I picked a nice crop of blackberries on my way into work today. I see our pears are ripe in the backyard as well... time to try out Katherine's clafouti recipe!

How are you enjoying this season?

 

5 comments:

  1. England in the fall...I'd like to experience all four seasons there. By the way, could you send me the email for any homeschoolers there or pass my email on to them? I'd very much appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the fall! It's the only season I've enjoyed so much to name my offspring after it. Today was perfect, sunny, blue and green, cool, windy, perfect. Spent time outside setting up the swingset, running, setting up our tent (practice run for camping trip next weekend).
    The only bad thing about the fall is not being able to enjoy it all the time. During the heat of summer, I'm happy to be in an air-conditioned building all day. But during the midst of glorious weather, it just seems wrong. We can't have everything, and I'm grateful for what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Annie - I'm sure you can make the soup despite lack of slow cooker.  I would cube the squash and boil much as you would potatos for mashed potatos. You may have to simmer a bit longer....until the cubes of squash are really quite mushy.  Then I'd run it through the blender and proceed as the recipe states.
    About Fall - I love it. We enjoyed a great bonfire in our back yard Friday evening....very cool temps and glowing embers make for sheer coziness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a conscious decision this weekend to embrace Fall.  I had been in a state of expecting warmth outside and being disappointed when it wasn't to be found (except in the direct sunlight while one wears dark clothing!).  I think the attitude shift will help me enjoy it more! 
    In the past years, I've missed the colors of Fall but not the colder weather... Yeah, I know. What am I going to do when winter hits? 
    Don't be surprised if I move South again someday... :)
    [Now I'm going to go paste this into my own xanga page!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for putting us in the sunny part!

    ReplyDelete