People tell (and laugh at) jokes like this one I was told over afternoon tea in the lab yesterday:
e^x and a constant are walking down the street together, when they catch sight of a differential operator coming their way. The constant is seized with terror, and he dives off the road into the bushes, but e^x isn't too bothered, and he continues on down the road confidently. When he gets close enough to the differential operator, he greets him with a 'hello'. The differential operator then introduces himself, saying, 'hello, I'm d/dy'.
Ummmm, lol...so confused...
ReplyDeleteMaybe my sister would get it
Yikes, you ARE getting scary Ann. I'm an engineer, but so removed from calculus that even I don't get it. But how about this one...
ReplyDeleteA physicist, a biologist, and a mathematician sat at an outdoor cafe. Across the street was an empty house. They watched two people enter the house. Later, they watched three people exit. The physicist said: "our first count must have been inaccurate." The biologist said: "they must have reproduced." But the mathematician said: "now, if someone goes into the house, it will be empty again."
I had to have James explain it to me. It didn't seem funny, even then. TGD had to think about it for a minute, though, but it did make him smile.
ReplyDeleteI guess they're going to revoke my math nerd license because I don't get it. I think I understand all the parts but I just don't see why it's funny...
ReplyDeleteHere's a limerick for you though:
The integral z squared dzFrom one to the cubed root of threeTimes the cosineOf three pi over nineEquals log of the cube root of e.
ANNIE!!!!!! I love it!!! unfortunately, it seems the humor of multivariate calc is lost on the masses. I'll send it to my math major friends.
ReplyDelete