...was a theme from Teresa's blog a while back... now it's resonating with me.
I'm not as energetic as I used to be. I used to be able to do LOTS of things. Really. And now I've just told my dear brother that I won't go see him in New York this weekend - because I'm too old and tired! And stressed and feeling pressured with all that I have going on.
Okay, to be fair, I HAVE had a very busy exciting time the past couple of weeks - more about that to come later - and I've got a couple of upcoming trips in the next month: to Atlanta for a cousin's wedding and then to Peru for a mission trip and hiking in the Andes. And I'm training for a marathon, which takes up time! Not to mention working full-time and trying to keep abreast of the demands of ordinary life (paying bills, keeping track of budget, insurance, blah blah blah) and a weekly Bible study and church... but the said younger brother and his equally young fiancee still somehow seem to have more energy than I do. Is this it? Have I passed my peak? Is it all downhill from here? There's a great thought. Hopefully we make up in wisdom for what we lack in energy as we get older. One can hope.
On a completely different note:
Thanks to LordJabez for pointing this out - and I have to concur - NoiseTrade is awesome. Go there right now. Get some amazing music. Amazing because it's good, thoughtful, singer-songwriter-type-indie guys singing their hearts out, not mindless pop jumk. (Also not depressing!) Amazing because they're giving it away. Seriously. Go look.
When I was in high school I used to fill up my schedule with as much stuff as I possibly could and my mom used to insist "you need down time! you're going to burn out!" This was just not true of me at that age, but absolutely is now. I think it's another side effect of being old and busted . Not to mention creaking knees, aching back, etc etc.
ReplyDeleteWhile we're on the topic of good music, here's a few more sites worth checking out:www.rabbitroom.com - They post a "song of the day", as well as have some great discussions on Christianity and the arts. It's run by Andrew Peterson, who is a charter member of . . .www.squarepegalliance.com - My favorite group of singer/songwriterswww.igracemusic.com - New music + old hymns = coolness (check out Derek and Sandra's arrangement of "Beneath the Cross of Jesus" on Indelible Grace V), plus they've got a great sheet music library that's free. It's unique in that they've added guitar chords that are actually playable versus trying to follow the chords in hymnal, i.e. 4 part vocal harmony, so if you're wanting to sing a hymn with guitar accompanyment, this is the place to gohttp://library.timelesstruths.org/ - Their theology is a bit over the top for me but they're library of free hymn sheet music is unmatched
ReplyDelete