I have to go present a paper at a big international meeting next week (sounds fun, right? Think again! A month of stressful 12-14-hour lab days and elevated blood pressure ... NOT worth it.) and neither of my supervisors have any time to help me. They occasionally can spare me 5 minutes, but only to criticize my work or to warn me about inter-group politics - I have to be so careful about how I represent my institution!! And my office phone is ringing off the hook with people making demands on my time and energy. It's a good thing the meeting is next week, because things should calm down afterwards. And I can't handle this much longer!
OK rant over. Deep breaths.
How am I ever going to keep it together long enough to hold down a normal job? How do you people DO it?
Poor muffin. (As in raga-muffin type!) I don't have a normal job. And, if you are a college prof, you get perks, many schedule perks. And once you are tenured, you can be mean and crotchety and not worry even more. But for now, pray a lot. Don't cut that out of the schedule, even though it seems prayer is the first thing I find my busy self eliminating.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking it'd been a while since you e-mailed. Guess I won't look for one for a couple more weeks.
ReplyDeleteThere are jobs (more than one, I would guess) where a month of 12-14 hours days is not typical. Some employers realize that working at that level does not produce the requisite morale and production to meet the business needs. But when YOU are paying THEM (as in your case), well, I suppose it doesn't matter to them how hard they work you.
Love ya Annie. Hang in there.
Praying for you - and even though you're feeling like that guy in the cartoon, at least you're way cuter. =)
ReplyDeletei agree with the above post...you are way cuter
ReplyDeleteIt's been more than 7 days. How did it go?
ReplyDelete