So I've come full circle and am back in the snow-bound lands of Wisconsin - a day later than I had intended, owing to the 18 inches that fell in 24 hours here! (I got a little impromptu *extended tour* of the Cincinnati airport instead, although I was too jet-lagged to enjoy it.) Never mind... I'm here!
Now begins the arduous task of *transition*. Happy interlude over, rejuvenated, ready to move on. Remember how to live in the USA. I was chuckling at TeacherPerson's site, in which she details the strangenesses of Cambridge-life, from an American perspective. Clocks that read 0:01? You can't buy Italian salad dressing? People look different! I can identify... I went through that process, too.
But now I have to go through it in reverse! It's been nearly 8 years now that I've been living in Europe - and I'm out of practice for American living! For Christmas, my brothers gave me a 're-assimilation' kit, with an American flag, a CD of patriotic music, coupons for cheeseburgers, etc. I laughed... but I'm glad they're willing to help me! Hopefully my new flatmate will be understanding as I go through the process... I haven't met her yet, but apparently she's got quite a bit of international experience, so hopefully she'll understand the phenomenon of reverse culture shock!
Any words of wisdom from you out there in xanga-land? Any expats returned home?
OK gotta go pack up the car now... I'm heading out East tomorrow! The adventure continues...
Stay tuned.
When we got on the Delta flight 2 weeks in England, we were shocked at how American it was. Eight years? Yikes. You'll be in shock for a long while.Don't worry. We are really enjoying it here. I'm trying to think of things that will remind me of England when I'm home. I'm thinking of crocheting a shopping bag out of MS and Sainsbury bags. All those great, bright colors! Hope you retain some of your European ways and thoughts as you return to the homeland.
ReplyDeleteI will be going through some reverse culture shock myself in a month or two - different I'm sure as i've only been gone 2 2/3 years, and I lived in a very different country. I suspect all of the changes that naturally come with having a baby is going to make reverse culture shock that much more interesting.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you are able to find the humor in the small differences, and keep a sense of balance only obtained with world travel, but are able to embrace the people in your life whole heartedly.
Blessings to you!
- Tricia
First word of wisdom, you live in an apartment, not a flat.
ReplyDeleteback in asia, one afternoon i was contentedly washing dishes when i found myself thinking something like this: "gee, i really like this bucket. what a nice bucket. can i take it with me? i wonder if i'll be able to find a nice bucket like this for washing dishes in america." and then i remembered... duh. i don't need a bucket to carry my hot water in america.
ReplyDeletewhen i got home i remember noticing that it seemed like a lot of people in america drive really big trucks. and that while i was gone, both of our local shopping malls had been renamed after apparently being purchased by the duchess of york. i thought that was a pretty weird surprise. it turned out in the end that she was actually just the spokesperson, but still... "westfield shoppingtown???" definitely not an a name that would organically arise in northeast ohio.
a year or two ago i picked up this somewhat humorous little volume on the subject of cross-cultural re-entry. i can't guarantee that it's all good, but there were some parts that made me laugh.
welcome back! :)
i've spent some time hanging out in the cinci airport, too. hope you found some good snacks!
ReplyDeleteYou should have called! I'd have come down to rescue you from the lovely airport stay... Well, you're coming East! Will you be anywhere near Dayton? I'd love to see you!
ReplyDeleteYes, it will. We are enjoying your bike. Thank you!How are you adjusting to life in the USA again?
ReplyDelete