... and it's a little weird!
I'm now in DC, glad to have stopped switching time zones every few days, and happily getting settled in my new flat, er, apartment. I went in to work yesterday to scope things out, although I won't start officially till next week (delayed by paperwork, bureaucracy, blah blah blah).
The 'exciting-adventure' aspect of moving to a new country is wearing off, and I'm feeling the strain of not being in familiar relational surroundings. I do have a lovely new flatmate (housemate? roommate?) and very nice new colleagues, but it will take a while to get used to their quirks, and they to mine. The introvert in me is having a hard time putting forth all this effort! (It doesn't help that my boyfriend is on the other side of the world...)
But I've done this enough times that I'm recognising that the 'I just don't want to be here!' days are a normal part of transitioning between cultures/cities/lives. It will pass, and I will get to love it here in the new place. I always do.
And I'm thankful that I have a few friends in the area! Hmmm... maybe with my new, revised (read: delayed) start date for work, I'll go visit some of the friends who live a couple of hours away. It would be good to re-connect with them....
We weren't going to Eden. That's an easy trip. We were going to Suez Street, which is over on the west side of town and required a bus transfer. And, it was dark and cold, and I had two kids with me, so I didn't really want to walk. But, I do have friends with cars now!
ReplyDeleteOoo, ooo, does that mean us?
ReplyDeleteIndeed, I think you should be worried if you _weren't_ feeling uncomfortable, strained, discombobulated and just ready to go home (wherever home is).
I think "roommate" should suffice.
Yes, yes, do come see us!
ReplyDeleteyes, please come see us! We don't live that far away and of course we aren't doing anything this weekend. Err... at least nothing you couldn't do with us!
ReplyDeleteThank you for coming to see us. Your friendship warms our hearts!
ReplyDeleteStart becoming American NOW or I will FORCE PATriotism on you! Thats it. I'm coming out there to DC.
ReplyDelete